J4893 : Blackhead Lighthouse

taken 8 years ago, near to Whitehead, Northern Ireland

Blackhead Lighthouse
Blackhead Lighthouse
Blackhead Lighthouse as seen from the 'Bangor Boat' in Belfast Lough.
By Bangor Boat to the Gobbins - 30 May 2010 :: J4791
The Bangor Boat made an extra trip to the Gobbins on Sunday 30 May 2010. The departure from Bangor was at 08.30 perfect to catch the early morning sun shining on the east-facing cliffs.
Blackhead Lighthouse
The octagonal lighthouse was designed by William Douglass, Engineer to the Commissioners of Irish Lights, and became operational in 1902. Originally painted red, this was changed to white in 1929. The lighthouse was converted to run on electricity on the 23rd September 1965; it now has a light visible for 27 nautical miles. Full time lightkeepers were withdrawn on 31st July 1975. The adjoining house was purchased by the Irish Landmark Trust and is now available to rent as self-catering accommodation.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rossographer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J4893, 90 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 30 May, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 2 June, 2010
Category
Lighthouse   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 488 934 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:46.0243N 5:41.2710W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 489 930
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Third Visitor for J4893)
This page has been viewed about 237 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register