One of numerous properties owned by Sir Robert Ferguson constructed about 1840 - more at H2684 : Old buildings, Castlederg
Sir Robert Ferguson, a native of Londonderry, was the son of Sir Andrew Ferguson Bart. (mayor of the city in 1796 and 1797) His mother was the daughter of Robert Alexander, Esq. of Broomhall, Londonderry. Sir Andrew was the first baronet and was created in 1801. His son, Sir Robert Ferguson succeeded to his title in 1808, being then only 12 years of age. He owned numerous properties in the city and neighbourhood and held large estates at Castlederg, Castlefin, and in other districts of Tyrone and Donegal. The people of Ireland at large owed a debt of gratitude to his successful exertions to pass a measure which was the nearest to a solution of the land question - vis. the Renewment Leasehold Conversions Act. (reported in the Belfast Newsletter, 15th March, 1860, page 3) By this enactment, tenants under lease renewable were enabled to demand their conversion into fee-farm grants to certain equitable terms. He first entered Parliament in 1830 and continued to serve until he died. Three weeks before his death on 15th March, 1860, he was forced to return to his sister's residence in Dublin, where he passed away with a liver complaint.