J6086 : Mew Island lighthouse, Copeland Islands near Donaghadee (2)

taken 6 years ago, 7 km from Donaghadee, Northern Ireland

Mew Island lighthouse, Copeland Islands near Donaghadee (2)
Mew Island lighthouse, Copeland Islands near Donaghadee (2)
One for the record – Mew Island lighthouse J6086 : Mew Island lighthouse, Copeland Islands (1) seen from the top of its predecessor J5985 : Old lighthouse, Lighthouse Island (1) on Lighthouse Island.
By Bangor Boat to Lighthouse Island
On 14 June 2011 the Bangor Boat LinkExternal link had arranged an evening trip to the Gobbins cliffs at Islandmagee. The boat’s owner considered the adverse wind unsuitable for a trip across Belfast Lough. Instead he made the journey, around the Co Down coast, to Lighthouse Island. This proved to be a wise decision since it included a sighting of a humpback whale, a landing on the island and a guided tour by the warden of the Copeland Islands Bird Observatory LinkExternal link with over an hour ashore. Not being a birdwatcher I made an independent trip around part of the island. With grateful thanks to Brian Meharg MBE of the Bangor Boat who knows exactly how to please his passengers.
Mew Island lighthouse, Copeland Islands near Donaghadee

The present lighthouse and fog signal on Mew Island was established on 1st November 1884 when its predecessor, on Lighthouse Island, was discontinued. It was converted to automatic operation with the lighthouse keepers permanently withdrawn on 29th March 1996. The station is in the care of an attendant. The aids to navigation are also monitored via a telemetry link from Irish Lights Dun Laoghaire.

A detailed description in available on the Irish Lights website LinkExternal link
Lighthouse Island, Copeland Islands near Donaghadee :: J5986
Lighthouse Island is one of the Copeland Islands, off the north eastern coast of Co Down, close to Donaghadee and the entrance to Belfast Lough. The following is a condensed version of a Wikipedia article: in 1671 James Ross obtained a fee farm grant of these. In 1770 David Kerr bought the islands from the Earl of Clanbrassil. A light beacon was established circa 1715 on what is now Lighthouse Island followed by a permanent lighthouse in 1813. In 1884 the lighthouse, which still exists, was replaced by one on nearby Mew Island. No longer inhabited, Lighthouse Island is now home to the Copeland Bird Observatory. This is the link to the full Wiki article LinkExternal link. Also useful – Irish Lights LinkExternal link and the Copeland Islands Bird Observatory LinkExternal link.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Albert Bridge and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J6086, 17 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 14 June, 2011   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 16 June, 2011
Geographical Context
Coastal  Islands 
Place (from Tags)
Copeland Islands 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 6028 8616 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:41.8775N 5:30.8768W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 5966 8588
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Mew Island  Mew Island Lighthouse  Lighthouse Island (Co Down)  Lighthouse  Island 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 219 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register