J4363 : Former orphanage, Ballygowan (2)
near to Ballygowan, Northern Ireland
Former orphanage, Ballygowan
Built in 1866 as an orphanage paid for by Alexander Orr Reid in memory of his son who died in a shooting accident. At the time Ballygowan had a population which seems to have been under 200. Listed as HB24/16/007 where the description includes “Large, austere, and some what stark and angular, four storey (3 storeys plus a ground floor ˜basement”) orphanage of c.1885, in semi-coursed basalt rubble with central five storey (bell) tower and crow-stepped gabled end bays . . . . This former orphanage with its mannerist late medieval styling and basalt facade, bears a resemblance to some of George Wilkinson’s work house ˜front buildings” of the 1840s, but is larger in scale, dwarfing its domestically sized rural village”.
Acquired by Ballygowan Presbyterian Church in 1918 and used as a school until the 1980's. Now solely the church halls.
- Grid Square
- J4363, 15 images (more nearby )
- Albert Bridge (find more nearby)
- Image classification?
- Supplemental image
- Date Taken
- Saturday, 21 January, 2012 (more nearby)
- Saturday, 21 January, 2012
- Geographical Context
- Subject Location
Irish: J 432 638 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:30.1807N 5:47.3923W
- Photographer Location
- Irish: J 432 638
- View Direction
- North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
This page has been viewed about 550 times.