J1576 : South Antrim Heritage Trail notice board, Crumlin

taken 2 years ago, near to Crumlin, Northern Ireland

South Antrim Heritage Trail notice board, Crumlin
South Antrim Heritage Trail notice board, Crumlin
It contains facts about the old church here J1576 : The First Presbyterian Church (Non-Subscribing), Crumlin

The following text is included in the description:

Presbyterianism was introduced to Ireland during the Plantation of Ulster in the 1600s, largely due to the many Scots families who brought their religion with them.

Ulster Presbyterianism

The first Presbyterian minister in Ulster was Edward Brice in 1613 but it would be another three decades before the first Presbytery, in Carrickfergus. was set up. Presbyterianism was frowned on by the established Church of Ireland and, like Catholics, Presbyterians suffered considerably under the harsh penal laws of the 18th century.

Presbytery of Antrim

The first Presbyterian meeting house in Crumlin, housing some 500 worshippers, was established in 1715. but the Presbyterians of the area had already been meeting in other locations for over 40 years. In 1725 the more liberal Presbyterian ministers of Ulster, who rejected compulsory subscription to the Calvinist Westminster Confession of Faith, were placed together in the re-organised Presbytery of Antrim. It was the merging of this body and the Remonstrants, formed in 1830 for similar reasons, that ultimately led to the emergence of the Non-Subscribing Presbyterian Church of Ireland in 1910.

Early Debates

The present church was built nearby in 1835, under the ministry of the Reverend Nathanial Alexander, and officially opened on September 17th 1837, having been built at a cost of 1,000. The opening address was given by the Rev Dr Henry Montgomery, the Minister of Dunmurry and a champion of the non-subscribing principle. His debates with the renowned orator Dr Henry Cooke, a fiery preacher of conservative values, became famous in the 19th century. By the time he was ready begin his opening address to the "numerous and highly respectable audience", the house was crowded in every part. Whatever tensions might have existed in the rest of Ireland, the report states, "It was truly gratifying to see, mingling in harmony and good-will, Christians of every religious persuasion, and affording their most generous aid to their brethren of another Church."

The church continues to maintain its liberal Presbyterian witness to this day.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Kenneth Allen and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J1576, 154 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 6 June, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 8 June, 2016
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 153 761 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:37.2002N 6:12.8748W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 153 761
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): close look 
This page has been viewed about 10 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register