O2334 : The Poolbeg Lighthouse, Dublin

taken 5 months ago, 3 km from Dollymount, Dublin, Ireland

The Poolbeg Lighthouse, Dublin
The Poolbeg Lighthouse, Dublin
Poolbeg Lighthouse in Dublin Bay, stands at the seaward end of the Great South Wall, (also known as the South Bull Wall). The lighthouse was built in 1768 and initially operated on candlepower (reputedly the first in the world to do so) but changed to oil in 1786. It was re-designed and re-built into its present form in 1820. The lighthouse is painted red to indicate ‘port side’ for ships entering Dublin Bay and North Bull lighthouse (on the other side of the bay) is painted green to indicate it is ‘starboard’.

LinkExternal link Dublin Port Blog
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
O2334, 32 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 28 May, 2017   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 5 June, 2017
Geographical Context
Coastal  Historic sites and artefacts  Docks, Harbours 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G7 
River (from Tags)
River Liffey 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! O 231 340 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:20.5276N 6:9.0785W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! O 231 341
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Dublin Harbour  Port of Dublin  River  Sea Wall  19th Century  Nineteenth Century  Lighthouse  Dublin Bay  Port Hand Mark  Red Buoy  Port Marker Buoy 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 6 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register