V9590 : Killarney Cathedral

taken 12 years ago, near to Cill Airne, Mill Bridge and Coolcorcoran Bridge, Kerry, Ireland

Killarney Cathedral
Killarney Cathedral
The cathedral in Killarney was designed by Augustus Welby Pugin and is renowned for its Gothic proportions. Work commenced in 1842 but stopped between 1848 and 1853 because of the famine, when the building was used as a hospital. The Californian Redwood tree in the grounds was planted after the famine in memory of the children buried underneath. The spire was only added in 1908.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andy Stephenson and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
V9590, 21 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Image classification?
Geograph (First for V9590)
First in 5 Years (TPoint) ?
Date Taken
Sunday, 1 May, 2005   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 7 May, 2005
Category
Cathedral   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! V 95 90 [1000m precision]
WGS84: 52:3.4270N 9:31.4550W
Clickable map
+


This page has been viewed about 436 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register