J3676 : 'Sir Charles Parsons' in dry dock, Belfast

taken 10 years ago, near to Queens Island, Whitehouse, Greencastle, Ballymacarret and Sydenham, Northern Ireland

'Sir Charles Parsons' in dry dock, Belfast
'Sir Charles Parsons' in dry dock, Belfast
The coal ship 'Sir Charles Parsons', partially hidden by the dockside cranes, in the Harland and Wolff dry dock in Belfast. Working for the energy corporation 'E.ON', the 14,000 tonne vessel supplies coal to the Kingsnorth power station in Kent (see TQ8171 : Kingsnorth Power Station Jetty and TQ8072 : Kingsnorth Power Station), usually shipping supplies from cross channel ports like Le Havre, Dunkirk and Amsterdam. The ship is named after Sir Charles Algernon Parsons (13 June 1854 11 February 1931) who was a British engineer, best known for his invention of the steam turbine. See also J3676 : 'Sir Charles Parsons' in Belfast.

Harland and Wolff, although no longer building ships, continue to provide a steady servicing and repair business. See J3676 : Anvil Point returns to Belfast, J3676 : Eddystone [1], J3676 : Eddystone [2], J3676 : Jack-Up Rig in Belfast, J3676 : The Harland and Wolff repair dock by night, J3676 : 'M/F Ulysses' in Belfast, J3676 : 'Isle of Inishmore' and 'Jonathan Swift' in Belfast and J3676 : The 'Stena Caledonia' in dry dock, Belfast for some similar pictures over the last twelve months.
The Belfast Dry Dock
The Belfast Dry Dock, owned and operated by Harland and Wolff for ship repair purposes. By the early 1960s it was clear that the largest dock in Belfast, the Thompson Graving Dock (see J3576 : Thompson Graving Dock), was too small for modern tankers and bulk carriers then being constructed. The Harland and Wolff Dry Dock (known as the Belfast Dry Dock) was constructed between 1965-68 by Charles Brand and Sons to a design by Rendel, Palmer and Tritton. It is 1150 feet long by 160 feet wide and, when constructed, was one of the five largest docks in the world. The dock can accommodate ships up to 200,000gt.
Alongside the dock is Ship Repair Quay (formerly known as Outfitting Wharf). This was constructed some 7 years later in 1975 and has a total lineal quayage of 433 metres. Ships which do not need to be fully dry docked are repaired here.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rossographer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J3676, 265 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 8 May, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 9 May, 2008
Category
Dry dock   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 361 767 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:37.2457N 5:53.5776W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 356 762
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 659 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register