J3676 : The 'Valparaiso Star' in dry dock, Belfast

taken 10 years ago, near to Queens Island, Greencastle, Whitehouse, Ballymacarret and Sydenham, Northern Ireland

The 'Valparaiso Star' in dry dock, Belfast
The 'Valparaiso Star' in dry dock, Belfast
The reefer ship 'Valparaiso Star' in the Harland and Wolff repair dock in Belfast. Reefer ships are used to transport perishable commodities which require temperature-controlled transportation. They were first used to transport bananas in bulk but now carry other foodstuffs across the world. The ship is operated by Star Reefers LinkExternal link .

Some notes on the dock itself:

By the early 1960s it was clear that the largest dock in Belfast, the Thompson Graving Dock (see J3576 : Thompson Graving Dock), was too small for modern tankers and bulk carriers then being constructed. The Harland and Wolff dry dock (known as the Belfast Dry Dock) was constructed between 1965-68 by Charles Brand and Sons to a design by Rendel, Palmer and Tritton. It is 1150 feet long by 160 feet wide and, when constructed, was one of the five largest docks in the world. The dock can accommodate ships up to 200,000gt.

See also J3676 : 'Sir Charles Parsons' in Belfast, J3676 : 'Sir Charles Parsons' in dry dock, Belfast, J3676 : The 'Stena Caledonia' in dry dock, Belfast, J3676 : 'Isle of Inishmore' and 'Jonathan Swift' in Belfast, J3676 : 'M/F Ulysses' in Belfast [2], J3676 : 'M/F Ulysses' in Belfast, J3676 : The Harland and Wolff repair dock by night, J3676 : Eddystone [2], J3676 : Eddystone [1] & J3676 : Anvil Point returns to Belfast for other similar images taken over the last year.
The Belfast Dry Dock
The Belfast Dry Dock, owned and operated by Harland and Wolff for ship repair purposes. By the early 1960s it was clear that the largest dock in Belfast, the Thompson Graving Dock (see J3576 : Thompson Graving Dock), was too small for modern tankers and bulk carriers then being constructed. The Harland and Wolff Dry Dock (known as the Belfast Dry Dock) was constructed between 1965-68 by Charles Brand and Sons to a design by Rendel, Palmer and Tritton. It is 1150 feet long by 160 feet wide and, when constructed, was one of the five largest docks in the world. The dock can accommodate ships up to 200,000gt.
Alongside the dock is Ship Repair Quay (formerly known as Outfitting Wharf). This was constructed some 7 years later in 1975 and has a total lineal quayage of 433 metres. Ships which do not need to be fully dry docked are repaired here.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rossographer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J3676, 265 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 11 June, 2008   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 13 June, 2008
Category
Dry dock   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 361 767 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:37.2399N 5:53.5594W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 356 762
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 743 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register