Here is Freame Mount and its farm buildings on a hilltop as seen from near the Cootehill-Newbliss road. The house, which was built in 1772 by Charles Mayne (1727-77), has a magnificent view across the Dartrey estate, owned by his cousin and benefactor, Thomas Dawson (1st Baron Dartrey) H6117 : Inner Lough island and the history of the Dartrey estate
. It was after Thomas’ new wife, Philadelphia Hannah Freame (a Quaker and the granddaughter of William Penn of Pennsylvania) that Charles named his new house - Dawson portraits: Link
. It was built on land known as Dyon (amounting to “90 acres excluding bog” in 1788).
Charles was a descendant of the Maynes of Mount Sedborough H4430 : Rateen Farmhouse, Mount Sedborough
. He had married his cousin Dorothea Mayne by whom he had seven children – their two older son’s fathered 27 children! While William, the younger of the two, took on Freame Mount, the elder son, Edward Mayne (1756-1829), became a lawyer and eventually a Judge of the Irish King’s Bench O1633 : 28 St Stephen’s Green North, Dublin
. His example resulted in the Mayne name figuring heavily in lists of Dublin lawyers well into the second half of the 19th century. Among them was Sir Richard Mayne who became the Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police on its formation in 1829 Link
Charles Mayne, together with four of his brothers who also settled around Cootehill, started something of a family dynasty which in time spread abroad to England, India and Australia. The Mayne family have a vault at H6117 : Dartrey churchyard (Ematris parish) – Mayne memorial stone
. They finally left Freame Mount in the 1850s – the last tenant being the land agent Richard Mayne of H5624 : Glynch House, Newbliss, and its history
. He was replaced by a William Douglas, an Ulsterman of Scottish descent with four sons. They eventually moved to the family home of William's wife, Eliza Magee, at Tully House in Killishandra. Three of their sons went to South Africa where one became a doctor and another a Methodist missionary.