2.

Public Houses in Beccles Past and Present

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright February 2017, Adrian S Pye; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


Beccles Pubs in the past to the present day


TM4290 : The old George and Dragon by Adrian S Pye Adam and Eve renamed George and Dragon. name change 1907 (Residential)

TM4290 : The former Lord Nelson public house by Adrian S Pye Anchor, 29, Northgate. opened 1758 (Demolished)

TM4290 : Angel House, the former 'Angel' public house by Adrian S Pye Angel, 5, Ballygate. 1792 - 1969 Also traded as The Bull and The Maidís Head. (Residential)

TM4290 : The former Angel public house by Adrian S Pye Angel, 3,The Walk. c1681 - 1792 (Commercial)

TM4290 : The  Bear & Bells, Beccles by JThomas TM4290 : Sign for the Bear & Bells, Beccles by JThomas Bear & Bells, 11, Old Market opened 1620 as The Bear. Name changed 1805.

TM4290 : Former Midland Bank in Beccles by Adrian S Pye Bell, 3, New Market. 1638 - closed before 1863 (Redeveloped)

TM4290 : The former One Bell public house, Smallgate by Adrian S Pye Bell, 30, Smallgate. 1823 - 1909 (Commercial) officially called the One Bell

TM4289 : Site of the former 'Black Boy' public house by Adrian S Pye Black Boy, 72, Blyburgate. 1671 - 1991 (Residential)

TM4290 : Site of the former Black Horse public house by Adrian S Pye Black Horse, 24, Hungate. 1756 - 1823 (Residential)

TM4290 : The former Crown And Anchor and The Angel in Ballygate by Adrian S Pye Black Swan. 7, Ballygate. 1823 - 1830 changed its name to Crown and Anchor

TM4289 : The former Victoria Arms, and Blacksmiths Arms by Adrian S Pye Blacksmiths Arms, 23, Ingate. only named as such in Kellyís Directory

TM4290 : Former Blue Bell public house, Hungate by Adrian S Pye Blue Bell 8, Hungate. 1664 - 1821 (Commercial)

TM4290 : The former Britannia Wine and Spirit Shades pub by Adrian S Pye Britannia Wine and Spirit Shades, 3, Blyburgate. (Commercial)

TM4290 : The former Crown And Anchor and The Angel in Ballygate by Adrian S Pye Bull, 5, Ballygate 1736 - 1792 changed name to The Angel

TM4289 : The 'Butcher's Arms', London Road, Beccles by Adrian S Pye TM4289 : The hanging sign of the 'Butcher's Arms' by Adrian S Pye Butcher's Arms, 47, London Road 1860 - present

TM4290 : The former 'Cambridge Inn' in Northgate Street, Beccles by Adrian S Pye Cambridge Inn, 23, Northgate. 1904 - 1969 formerly The Wherry before 1904 (Residential)

TM4290 : The corner of the churchyard, Saltgate by Adrian S Pye Cardinalís Hat, 1, Saltgate. 1644 - ? (Redeveloped)

TM4389 : Formerly 'The Castle' public house by Adrian S Pye The Castle, 79, Rigbourne Hill. 1950s - 1970s (Residential flats)

TM4290 : The 'Caxton Arms' public house, Beccles by Adrian S Pye TM4290 : The hanging sign of 'The Caxton Arms' by Adrian S Pye Caxton Arms, 1, Ravensmere, 1892 - present

TM4290 : Former Chequers public house in Beccles by Adrian S Pye Chequers, 27, Smallgate. 1864 - 1875 (Commercial)

TM4290 : Site of the old lime kiln and the Cherry Tree public house by Adrian S Pye Cherry Tree. 24, Puddingmoor. opened 1758 - ? (Redeveloped)

TM4290 : Former Coffin public house by Adrian S Pye Coffin, 69, Northgate. opened 1851 (Residential)

TM4290 : The former Conservative Club by Adrian S Pye Cork and Bottle. 2, London Road. (Commercial)

TM4290 : The old Cross Keys Public House. by Adrian S Pye Cross Keys, 22, Hungate. 1756 - ? (Residential)

TM4290 : The former 'Crown' public house, Blyburgate by Adrian S Pye Crown, 60, Blyburgate. 1829 - 1995 also traded as The Six Bells (Residential)

TM4290 : The former Black Swan and Crown and Anchor by Adrian S Pye Crown & Anchor, 7, Ballygate. 1839 - 1960s formerly Black Swan from 1823 (Residential)

TM4290 : The former Dickersonís Beer House, Blyburgate by Adrian S Pye Dickersonís Beer House 23, Blyburgate. (Commercial)

TM4290 : The former Dog public house in Puddingmoor by Adrian S Pye Dog, 38, Puddingmoor. Changed name to Pickerel (Residential)

TM4290 : The site of the Beccles Market Cross by Adrian S Pye Dolphin, New Market. created from an outbuilding belonging to The White Swan; closed 1830ish, (Demolished)

TM4290 : The former Dolphin public house in New Market by Adrian S Pye Dolphin, New Market. opened after closure of the above (Commercial)

TM4290 : The former Duke of Cumberland public house by Adrian S Pye Duke of Cumberland Inn, 18, Ballygate. < 1818 - 1907 also traded as The Duke, Dukeís Head & Duke William (Residential)

Duke of Edinburgh, Ravensmere (see Royal Oak)

TM4290 : The site of 'The Falcon' public house by Adrian S Pye Falcon, 9, New Market. 1576 - 1960s (Commercial)

TM4290 : The former 'Fleece Inn' and public house by Adrian S Pye TM4290 : Sign of 'The Fleece Inn', Blyburgate by Adrian S Pye The Fleece, 58 Blyburgate. 1823 - 1995 later traded as The Woolly Pig (Residential)

TM4290 : The former 'Fox and Hounds' public house, Ravensmere by Adrian S Pye Fox & Hounds, 25, Ravensmere. 1864 - 1997 (Social Club)

TM4290 : The old George and Dragon by Adrian S Pye George and Dragon, Hungate Lane. 1795 - 1904 formerly Adam and Eve 1728 - 1795. (Residential)

TM4289 : The former 'Greyhound' pub cum off licence by Adrian S Pye Greyhound, 38 Peddars Lane. (Residential)

TM4290 : Former Greyhound and Dog Inn  by Adrian S Pye Greyhound and Dog, 1, Saltgate. 1720 - 1746 (Redeveloped)

TM4291 : The Hermitage, site of a former public house by Adrian S Pye Hermitage, 3 Bridge Street. opened 1655 (Redeveloped)

TM4290 : Horse and Groom Lane by Adrian S Pye Horse and Groom, Horse and Groom Lane. 1668 - 1880 (Demolished)

TM4290 : The former 'Horse and Groom' public house by Adrian S Pye Horse & Groom, Caxton Road. 1883 - before 1965 (Residential)

TM4289 : 'The Ingate' public house and hotel by Adrian S Pye TM4289 : Hanging sign for 'The Ingate' public house and hotel by Adrian S Pye Ingate Hotel, 108 Grove Road, 1911 - present

TM4290 : The site of the former Kings Arms in Ballygate by Adrian S Pye Kingís Arms, 27, Ballygate. 1754 - 1824 (Residential)

TM4290 : 'King's Head Hotel', Beccles by Adrian S Pye King's Head Hotel, New Market, 15th century - present as Wetherspoons

TM4291 : Loaves and Fishes in Fen Lane, Beccles by Adrian S Pye TM4291 : Sign for the Loaves and Fishes by Adrian S Pye Loaves and Fishes, Fen Lane Former Maltings. 1970s - 2000s (unused)

TM4290 : The former Lord Nelson public house by Adrian S Pye Lord Nelson, Northgate Street. 1871 - 1921 (Residential)

TM4291 : Site of the former Maltster's Arms (unproven) by Adrian S Pye Maltsters Arms, Bridge Street. 1882 - 1922 (Demolished)

TM4290 : The former 'Marquis of Granby' public house by Adrian S Pye Marquis of Granby, Northgate Street. 1814 - 1899 (Residential)

TM4290 : The former Royal Oak public house by Adrian S Pye Oakfired at the Royal Oak, 35 Ravensmere, 2023 - present

TM4290 : Twyford House, formerly the Old Falcon public house by Adrian S Pye Old Falcon, Sheepgate / Exchange Square. (Commercial)

TM4290 : The former One Bell public house, Smallgate by Adrian S Pye One Bell, Smallgate. 1823 - 1909 colloquially and locally called The Bell (Commercial)

TM4290 : The former 'Pickerel' public house, Puddingmoor by Adrian S Pye Pickerel, Puddingmoor. 1830 - 1960s (Residential)

Plough, Ravensmere cum Newgate. 1823 - 1864 (see Royal Oak (Open))

TM4290 : Pope's Head Cottage by Adrian S Pye Popeís Head, The Score. Later renamed The Griffin (Residential)

TM4290 : Former cinema and site of the Prince of Wales pub by Adrian S Pye Prince of Wales, 9, Saltgate. 1807 - 1855 (Demolished) for the Cinema

TM4290 : House overlooking Beccles Old Market by Adrian S Pye Prince of Wales, 5, Smallgate. 1861 - 1919 (Demolished) for the post office

KML

( Page 1 2 3 4 5 )
You are not logged in login | register