Watermills of the Norfolk Rivers

( Page 1 2 3 )
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   Text © Copyright September 2021, Adrian S Pye; licensed for re-use under a Creative Commons Licence.
Images also under a similar Creative Commons Licence.


The 150 odd Norfolk watermills named in the list below is as near as possible a definitive list of known watermill sites in the county.
Where possible each site is accompanied by a map where the location is known. A photograph of the watermill, remains, or ground it once occupied is included where possible. Please note that this is a work in progress. I shall be adding photographs to the list in the coming months. All sites on private land were accessed and photographed with the kind permission of the owner. Where no photograph is shown it usually means I was for some reason unable to find (marked 'Lost') or gain access to the location. The list is alphabetically ordered by the name of the parish in which it is located, followed by the nearest postcode and the name of the river, preceded by the name of the tributary where applicable.
Mills shown with a '*' are on the Suffolk bank of the River Waveney.
Clicking on the photograph will sometimes offer more information.
For much more detail visit the Norfolk Mills website LinkExternal link which has details and photographs of mills since demolished.

Aldborough to Foulden


Aldborough
NR11 7NS
Scarrow Beck
[map TG 1860 3393]
The waterwheel was removed in the 1930s, and twenty years later the area where the mill dam used to be was bulldozed over and Scarrow Beck was diverted, leaving very little trace of the mill's old watercourse. Aldborough was converted into dwellings. The mill continued working powered by the Crossley diesel engines. In 2003 it was converted for residential use.


Antingham Lower
NR28 0NZ
North Walsham & Dilham Canal
[map TG 2691 3221]only mill house extant

Antingham Upper
NR28 0NF
North Walsham & Dilham Canal
[map TG 2644 3246]only mill house extant

Aylsham Millgate
NR11 6HX
River Bure
[map TG 1979 2745]
The mill (which in its heyday was served by 26 wherries) has three sack hoists or lucums. On 26th August 1912 a great flood destroyed all the locks and the Aylsham Navigation was closed. In 1967 the mill was vacated and in 1974 the Aylsham Canal basin was filled in.


Bacton Wood
NR28 9SH
North Walsham & Dilham Canal
[map TG 29993067]
The last working mill was rebuilt in 1747. Extensive modification was carried out around 1825 due to an expected increase in trade, following the opening of the North Walsham & Dilham Canal in 1826. The North Walsham & Dilham Canal basically is the canalised River Ant, which was widened to accommodate Norfolk wherries that transported offal to two bone mills and took corn to Bacton Wood mill, with return loads consisting of flour. The canal ran from Smallburgh to Antingham and contained 6 locks. Originally of white rendered brick with a slate roof, the mill house had a Norfolk pantile roof, which in later years was changed to slate.


Barnham Broom
NR9 4DE
River Yare
[map TG 0751 0742]
The mill probably ceased operating during the war and was demolished c.1944.


Bawburgh
NR9 3LS
River Yare
[map TG 1543 0878]
The first known reference to a mill here on the River Yare was in the Domesday Book which means that milling was a continuous activity for at least 800 years and probably much longer. The building seen in this view dates from 1876; milling activity finally ceased in October 1967 after which it was converted into residential units. In the late 18th century the miller was Jeremiah Colman who manufactured mustard here - Colman's is, of course, still used as a brand name for mustard although it is no longer produced in Norfolk. The mill later saw use as a pulp mill.


Bintry
NR20 5NY
River Wensum
[map TF 9988 2424]
Bintree Mill, miller's house and mill bridge viewed across Mill Road.

Bintree Mill with the adjoining miller's house and its own farm is situated by the River Wensum, only about 1.5 kilometres distant from the village of Bintree but nevertheless isolated, surrounded by pastureland; the narrow, tree-lined road snakes past it. Remodelled in the 19th century, not much remains of the original C18 building which featured in the 1997 BBC TV series "Mill on the Floss", based on the book by George Eliot and starring Emily Watson and Bernard Hill. For the film the walls of the mills were blackened in order to give it a distressed appearance. In 1947 the waterwheel was removed and the wheelhouse floor concreted over. Motive power was moved to electricity; the mill ceased operating in 1980.
by Evelyn Simak


Blickling
NR11 6PX
River Bure
[map TG 1632 3041]
Although a public footpath leads down to the north side of the Bure at this point, there is no public right of way across the river at the site of the former mill, and the route across is so heavily overgrown that the walker seen exploring it here found it impassable.
by Christopher Hilton
Shared Description


Bolwick Mill (Marsham) -
NR10 5PS -
Mermaid River
[map TG 2010 2439]part demolished

Brandiston - lost - tributary of the River Wensum

Bridgham Town - lost - tributary of the River Wensum

Bridgham West
River Thet
[map TL 95 85] nothing remains

Briggate
NR28 9QY
North Walsham & Dilham Canal
[map TG 3154 2740]

Brockdish (Luck’s Mill)*
IP20 9LG
River Waveney
[map TM 2255 8054]
The bridge is in the foreground and has a concrete pad over it which has started to break-up. It was once part of Lucks Mill. The mill was small and only had two pairs of stones. It stood on a cut south of the River Waveney. The tracks that led to the mill have all disappeared apart from the one coming in from Needham High Road. Luck's Mill was originally a flax mill and that it had ceased working about 1890. The two arched bridge over the old watercourse has been allowed to silt up and holds very little water. Link
by Adrian S Pye

demolished

Buckenham Tofts
IP26 5JQ
River Wissey
[map TL 8309 9503]

Bungay* Bardolph’s Mill
NR35 1EU
River Waveney
[map TM 34078 89716]
Formerly known as Bardolph's Mill, a succession of mills have been built on this site; this building is of Victorian origin. Bungay is the head of navigation for the River Waveney.
When the previous mill was working as a paper mill, it burnt down and the site was then bought by later miller Charles Marston's father, who rebuilt it in the 1870s. He fitted a roller plant in the 1890s, before the mill again caught fire and burned down again about 1900. The Marstons then took over Earsham mill for flour production and rebuilt Bungay mill as a provender mill in 1902. The new mill was constructed of weatherboard and brick with a corrugated iron roof. It is unusual because of the extended lucum which extended over the dock for loading the barges. In the 1960s the watercourse adjacent to the mill building was filled in and grassed over and converted into a timber store. In 2003 it became a consultancy and training centre and has since been converted into residential accommodation.
by Adrian S Pye


Burgh next Aylsham
NR11 6TP
River Bure
[map TG 2220 2510]
This magnificent mill was working until relatively recently.
by Jim Woodward-Nutt


Burnham Overy lower mill
PE31 8JA
River Burn
[map TF 8363 4355]
The water passes beneath the disused mill under the road-bridge and into this millpond with willows and other trees surrounding its banks.
by Adrian S Pye


Burnham Overy Union
PE31 8DX
River Burn
[map TF 8423 4262]
A former combined mill on The River Burn in Norfolk
by Richard Humphrey


Buxton
NR10 5EJ
River Bure
[map TG 2379 2288]

Caistor St Edmund
NR14 8QN
River Tas
[map TG 2301 0387]no remains

Calthorpe
NR11 6PU
River Bure
[map TG 1750 3013]
Boards have been nailed across the other end of this bridge to discourage access into the pasture beyond: the ground here is very swampy at this time of the year.
by Evelyn Simak


Castle Rising
PE31 6AL
Babingley river
[map TF 67695 25075]only Mill house



Carbrooke Lost Carbrooke Fen and River Wissey


Cockley Cley Lost River Wissey

Congham
PE31 6BZ
Tributary of Babingley river
[map TF 7137 2476]

Corpusty
NR11 6QB
River Bure
[map TG 1145 3030]
The mill has a bit of a split personality as it is sometimes called Saxthorpe Mill. The villages of Saxthorpe and Corpusty are separated by the River Bure which is behind the fence on the left. So, this end of the mill is in Saxthorpe but most of the building is on the Corpusty side of the river, as is the Mill House.
by Martin Addison

TG1130 : River Bure as it passes beneath Corpusty Mill by Adrian S Pye

Costessey
NR8 5DG
River Wensum
[map TG 1771 1274]
To the left of this is the site of Costessey mill, burnt down in 1924: LinkExternal link
by Katy Walters


Cranworth
River Blackwater
[map TF 97 04]Lost

Cringleford
NR4 6XL
River Yare
[map TG 1990 0594]only the Mill House remains

Dilham
NR28 9PN
North Walsham & Dilham Canal
[map TG 3309 2672]awaiting image

Ditchingham*
NR35 2JL
River Waveney
[map TM 3340 9077]
The board is at what is more properly known as Ditchingham watermill but more commonly as Baldry's Mill although Mr Baldry never had a mill here. He did however live in Mill House by which time the mill had been bought and thoroughly dismantled by the men who held the grazing rights on the marshes who were against the mill because it would raise the level of the water and flood the marshes.
by Adrian S Pye

TM3390 : Footbridge over the River Waveney to Outney Common by Adrian S Pye

Earsham*
NR35 2TQ
River Waveney
[map TM 3262 8870]
Earsham Mill dates from Saxon times and adjoins ancient earthworks. It was a brick built mill with a pantile roof. Along with Ditchingham and Ellingham, it was one of the only three Norfolk watermills on the Waveney.
The mill was rebuilt by R. H. Clarke on the existing site in 1862. It was fitted with 12 pairs of stones powered by a waterwheel and a steam engine. A roller plant manufactured by Whitman & Binyon was installed in 1893. At this time, flour from Earsham was being sent to Newcastle by water transport.
Copied direct from LinkExternal link Norfolk Mills. To see how it used to look Link
The site was accessed and image taken with permission.
by Adrian S Pye

TM3288 : Earsham Mill is open for business by Adrian S Pye



East Dereham Lost

East Harling
NR16 2NA
River Thet
[map TL 9890 8670]only the Mill House remains

East Wretham
IP24 1QS
tributary, River Thet
[map TL 9261 9068]Extant

Eaton
River Yare
[map TG 20 05]Lost

Ebridge (Nth Walsham)
NR28 9NH
North Walsham & Dilham Canal
[map TG 3107 2971]
Mill has been converted to Dwellings
by David Pashley


Ellingham*
NR35 2EP
River Waveney
[map TM 3649 9174]
The first known reference to the mill was about 1200
Under Hovis, flour milling ceased in 1949 and the mill was converted to a provender mill, taking over the animal feed business from Earsham Mill. The mill finally closed down in 196.
Ellingham and Earsham are the only two mills on the Waveney that are officially in Norfolk.
by Adrian S Pye

TM3691 : Ellingham Mill, Ellingham by Geographer TM3691 : Ellingham Water Mill by Ashley Dace

Elsing
NR20 3EQ
River Wensum
[map TG 0498 1768]
A beautiful building in a beautiful location
by Adrian S Pye

TG0517 : The millpond at Elsing Mill by Adrian S Pye

Erpingham
NR11 7QY
Scarrow Beck, River Bure
[map TG 1890 3160]demolished - only Millhouse remains

Fakenham
NR21 9AY
River Wensum
[map TF 9193 2932]
A view of the mill from the back, as you can see from the link there used to be a series of buildings out the back including a steam engine and large chimney. LinkExternal link These have made way for the flats car park.
by Ashley Dace


Felmingham
NR28 0LA
Suffield Beck, River Bure
[map TG 2315 2967]Extant

Felthorpe
NR10 4QB
Tributary, River Wensum
[map TG 1577 1847]
Debris has accumulated here where the unnamed stream > TG1518 : Streaming westwards passes below Mill Lane.
by Evelyn Simak

demolished



Feltwell Lost

Flitcham
PE31 6BW
Babingley river
[map TF 7280 2623]demolished

Flordon
NR15 1LU
River Tas
[map TM 1944 9670]Mill Farm only, mill demolished

Foulden
IP26 5AG
tributary, River Wissey
[map TL 7691 9853]

KML

( Page 1 2 3 )
You are not logged in login | register