H6016 : “A fine Georgian building” – the original Dartrey stables

taken 12 years ago, near to Clements Town, Cavan, Ireland

“A fine Georgian building” – the original Dartrey stables
“A fine Georgian building” – the original Dartrey stables
This great Palladian-style building was the original stables of the Dartrey estate and is now privately owned. It was built in 1730, coinciding with the completion of the Palladian mansion at neighbouring Bellamont Forest by the famous young Irish architect Sir Edward Lovett Pearce (1699-1733) who introduced Palladianism to Ireland and later designed the Irish Parliament buildings. The design of these stables has many interesting features strongly indicating his hand and influence at work: the building is recognised as being of architectural importance. It was replaced by H6017 : The ‘new’ stables on the Dartrey estate built in the 1840s. Now suffering badly from the effects of time and neglect, this once fine Georgian building is in urgent need of restoration before it finally subsides into ruin and complete loss.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright D Gore and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
H6016, 13 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
December 2009   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 13 December, 2009
Category
Stables (former)   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! H 608 168 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:5.8066N 7:4.2861W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! H 607 168
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 1650 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register