G2418 : St Muredach's Cathedral, Ballina

taken 13 years ago, near to Ardnaree, Ballina, Bunree, Knocksbarrett and Crockets Town, Mayo, Ireland

St Muredach's Cathedral, Ballina
St Muredach's Cathedral, Ballina
St. Muredach's Cathedral in Ballina, Co. Mayo was begun in 1828 and externally completed in 1831. The architect was Dominic Madden who is also responsible for the cathedrals in Tuam and Ennis. Lack of funds and the famine inevitably induced changes to the original design. The spire was added in 1853 by John Benson. The project was finally completed in 1892. The ribbed ceiling, by Arthur Canning, is based on Santa Maria Sopra Minerva in Rome , the original painted decoration, however, has vanished. The glass is by Mayer of Munich. Of the High Altar, commissioned in Rome by Sir Kenelem Digby, only the mensa survives.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Brian Shaw and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
G2418, 13 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 6 May, 2006   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 10 May, 2006
Category
Cathedral   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! G 24 18 [1000m precision]
WGS84: 54:6.6057N 9:9.3069W
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (First for G2418) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 4782 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register