M8765 : Castles of Connacht: Roscommon, Co. Roscommon (1)

taken 14 years ago, near to Roscommon, Co Roscommon, Ireland

Castles of Connacht: Roscommon, Co. Roscommon (1)
Castles of Connacht: Roscommon, Co. Roscommon (1)
Roscommon Castle dates from the mid-C13 and was built for the Lord Justice of Ireland Robert de Ufford. Following its destruction by Aedh O'Connor not long after completion, its rebuilding in c.1277-8 included a courtyard flanked with three storey corner towers, and a large gatehouse. In the 1580s the castle became the chief residence of the Governor of Connacht, Sir Nicholas Malby, when the castle was remodelled, and a fine new range of buildings were incorporated into those that already existed on the north side. The castle was captured by the Confederate Catholics in 1645, and was later destroyed by being blown up by the Cromwellian commander Reynolds after its surrender in 1652.

M8765 : Castles of Connacht: Roscommon, Co. Roscommon (2)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Mike Searle and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
M8765, 6 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
Date Taken
Sunday, 6 June, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 9 July, 2010
Category
Castle > Castle   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! M 87264 65071 [1m precision]
WGS84: 53:38.1278N 8:11.5964W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! M 87056 65022
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Castle  Roscommon 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph (First for M8765) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 477 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
Background for photo viewing: White / /
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register