S7127 : New Ross: The Tholsel

taken 15 years ago, near to Rosbercon and New Ross, Wexford, Ireland

New Ross: The Tholsel
New Ross: The Tholsel
Tholsel is a corruption of "Toll Stall" as it was in buildings like this that tolls were collected. This one is in the centre of the old part of New Ross at the junction of Quay Street, Mary Street, and North and South Streets. The lower arches, which now have windows in them, were originally open and a market was held here each week. The Tholsel was erected in 1749 and William Kent, a pupil of Sir Christopher Wren, designed the front facade. The arches were used to house the cannon of the British Authorities in the 1798 rebellion when it was known as the Main Guard. Near the end of the 18th century the tidal waters of the River Barrow caused the foundations to subside. The building was taken down stone by stone and rebuilt in 1805. It now houses the Chambers of the Local Authority. Compare this building with S2022 : Cluain Meala (Clonmel): The Main Guard
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Nigel Cox and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
S7127, 67 images   (more nearby search)
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 23 September, 2006   (more nearby)
Monday, 30 October, 2006
Toll house   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! S 719 276 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:23.7396N 6:56.6700W
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 346 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
thumbs up icon
You are not logged in login | register