J3474 : Queen's Quay station - interior - 1976 (12)

taken 48 years ago, near to Belfast, Co Antrim, Northern Ireland

Queen's Quay station - interior - 1976 (12)
Queen's Quay station - interior - 1976 (12)
The booking office, which was just under the clock on the left, replaced the original BCDR structure in 1967. This was the west interior wall and it is doubtful if the "Cloak Room" still operated at this stage. Another "last night" view, the rest of the station interior was too dark for successful photography. Location is approximate as the station was demolished following closure, with the site now under the cross-harbour rail and road link.
Queen’s Quay railway station, Belfast and Central Services Depot

Situated on the County Down side of the River Lagan, Queen’s Quay station opened in 1848 as the Belfast terminus for the Belfast & County Down Railway (BCDR). The Belfast Holywood & Bangor Railway built a separate terminus in 1865 and this was combined with the BCDR buildings when the two companies merged in 1884. However, the original structures were largely demolished when Queen’s Quay station was extensively rebuilt in 1910-14.
The BCDR was acquired by the Ulster Transport Authority (UTA) in 1948 and Queen’s Quay suffered grievously following closure of the BCDR main line to Newcastle in 1950. In the early 1950s, the UTA removed the overall roof while track to Platform 5 and the surviving locomotive release roads were lifted in the early 1960s. The former BCDR freight sheds were also abandoned.
Formed in 1967, Northern Ireland Railways (NIR) closed Queen’s Quay station on 10 April 1976, services transferring to the new Belfast Central Station. By this time, Queen’s Quay was a pale shadow of its former glory with much internal damage due to terrorist attacks. Although the station was later demolished, the former yards and servicing facilities became Central Services Depot (CSD), being used by NIR for stock storage and railcar maintenance. CSD closed in November 1994 on completion of the cross-harbour rail & road links and the entire Queen’s Quay site is now buried under the M3 motorway.
For the purpose of this Shared Description, Queen’s Quay covers the area out to Ballymacarrett Junction. For photographs of surviving structures on the BCDR line to Newcastle (and branches), see: LinkExternal link . For photographs on the line between Ballymacarrett Junction and Bangor, see: LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright The Carlisle Kid and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J3474, 4356 images   (more nearby search)
Date Taken
Saturday, 10 April, 1976   (more nearby)
Monday, 23 December, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Business, Retail, Services  Suburb, Urban fringe  Railways 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 345 746 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:36.1181N 5:55.0845W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 346 746
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 441 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
Background for photo viewing: White / /
W Go E
thumbs up icon
You are not logged in login | register