H8744 : Main entrance to the Palace Demesne

taken 6 years ago, near to Armagh and Millford, Northern Ireland

Main entrance to the Palace Demesne
Main entrance to the Palace Demesne
The Demesne, covering some 300 acres of undulating parkland and farmland, was created by Archbishop Richard Robinson, 1st Baron Rokeby, who lived between 1708 and 1794. Robinson wanted Armagh to rival Dublin in its architecture and was responsible for founding such notable buildings as the Armagh County Infirmary, Armagh Prison, the Armagh Public Library and the Armagh Observatory. The centre piece of the demesne was, and remains, the Palace - with its surrounding gardens and outbuilding - which was the residence of the Archbishops of the Church of Ireland from 1770 to 1975. The building now houses the Armagh District Council

See other images of Bishop's Palace Demesne
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Eric Jones and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
H8744, 137 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 1 June, 2016   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 11 June, 2016
Geographical Context
Park and Public Gardens 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! H 875 447 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:20.6584N 6:39.2438W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! H 875 448
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 20 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register