H9596 : Bellaghy Bawn

taken 13 years ago, near to Bellaghy, Northern Ireland

This is 1 of 2 images, with title Bellaghy Bawn in this square
Bellaghy Bawn
Bellaghy Bawn
Marked as Bellaghy Castle on OS maps, this building is more correctly called a Bawn. A Bawn is a fortified house. This one was built as part of the Plantation of Ulster by the Vintners' Company of London who were granted the land around Bellaghy in 1619. It was intended as a place of refuge in times of trouble. The round tower in the photograph dates from at least 1622.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Cormac Duffin and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
H9596, 65 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 22 July, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 25 July, 2007
Category
Fortifications   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! H 953 963 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:48.3296N 6:31.1225W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! H 953 963
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (First for H9596) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 362 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register