J3527 : The Mourne Wall, Slieve Donard

taken 4 years ago, 5 km SSW of Newcastle, Co Down, Northern Ireland

The Mourne Wall, Slieve Donard
The Mourne Wall, Slieve Donard
The summit of Slieve Donard on a clear bright morning with the rest of the high Mournes in the distance beyond. The Mourne Wall rises up the west and south of the mountain with the stone shelter, built 1910, on the summit itself. The shelter is topped by the trig pillar, added c1950 J3527 : Slieve Donard Triangulation Pillar.

The summit of Donard is 850 metres but the top of the trig pillar is at 853 metres.
The Mourne Wall

The Mourne Wall is a 22 mile long wall in the Mourne Mountains. It was built between 1904 and 1922 by the Belfast Water Commissioners to enclose their catchment areas in the Mournes and protect the area from the effects of cattle and sheep on the water course LinkExternal link . The wall is predominately constructed from local granite using traditional dry stone walling techniques; on average the wall is about 1.5 metres high and 0.8 to 0.9 metres thick. It is not uniform in construction along the entire length - the 'classic' granite wall is only to be found north of Carn mountain and Long Seefin with particularly impressive sections on Slieve Commedagh and Slieve Donard; elsewhere it largely resembles the traditional dry stone walls found elsewhere in the Mournes and south County Down. In places, such as Slieve Muck, the wall is not constructed of granite at all.

OSNI Triangulation Stations

The re-triangulation of Northern Ireland by the Ordnance Survey Northern Ireland began in 1950. This was the first complete survey of Northern Ireland which included observations with the new primary triangulation of the country, its connection with the Republic of Ireland and the cross-channel connection between Ireland and Great Britain. This began by OSNI establishing a series of triangulation stations throughout the country. Almost all of these stations were topped by trig pillars and 80, mainly primary and secondary pillars, had been constructed by October 1949. Measurements between primary stations began in 1950 and measurements for these and the secondary stations were completed by July 1956. The construction and measurements for tertiary stations were completed later (probably no later than the mid 1960s). Only two stations are not topped by pillars - Lighthouse Island, marked by a brass rivet, and Ardglass, which utilised the top of a high stone folly. The older triangulation stations on the Lough Foyle Base Line were also re-surveyed as part of this process. A majority of the stations are still extant today but a few have been removed or destroyed.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rossographer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J3527, 100 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
Date Taken
Sunday, 31 May, 2020   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 1 June, 2020
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Uplands  Boundary, Barrier 
Building Type (from Tags)
Shelter 
Place (from Tags)
Mourne Wall  Slieve Donard  Mourne Mountains 
Building (from Tags)
Shelter 
Primary Subject of Photo
Wall  Summit 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 357 276 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:10.8121N 5:55.2596W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 357 276
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Shelter  Mourne Wall  Mourne  Mournes  Kingdom of Mourne  Mountains of Mourne 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 123 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
Background for photo viewing: White / /
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register