J3527 : The Mourne Wall, Slieve Donard

taken 1 year ago, 3 km from Widows Row, Northern Ireland

The Mourne Wall, Slieve Donard
The Mourne Wall, Slieve Donard
The summit of Slieve Donard on a clear bright morning. The Mourne Wall rises up the west and south of the mountain with the stone shelter, built 1910, on the summit itself. The shelter is topped by the trig pillar, added c1950 J3527 : Slieve Donard Triangulation Pillar.

The summit of Donard is 850 metres but the top of the trig pillar is at 853 metres.
The Mourne Wall

The Mourne Wall is a 22 mile long wall in the Mourne Mountains. It was built between 1904 and 1922 by the Belfast Water Commissioners to enclose their water catchment areas in the Mournes and protect the area from the effects of cattle and sheep on the water course. The wall is predominately constructed from local granite stone using traditional dry stone walling techniques; on average the wall is about 1.5 metres high and 0.8 to 0.9 metres thick. It is not uniform in construction along the entire length - the 'classic' granite wall is only to be found north of Carn mountain and Long Seefin with particularly impressive sections on Slieve Commedagh and Slieve Donard; elsewhere the wall largely resembles dry stone walls found elsewhere in the Mournes and south County Down. In places, such as Slieve Muck, the wall is not constructed of granite at all.

OSNI Triangulation Stations

The re-triangulation of Northern Ireland by the Ordnance Survey Northern Ireland began in 1950. This was the first complete survey of Northern Ireland which included observations with the new primary triangulation of the country, its connection with the Republic of Ireland and the cross-channel connection between Ireland and Great Britain. This began by OSNI establishing a series of triangulation stations throughout the country. Almost all of these stations were topped by trig pillars and 80, mainly primary and secondary pillars, had been constructed by October 1949. Measurements between primary stations began in 1950 and measurements for these and the secondary stations were completed by July 1956. The construction and measurements for tertiary stations were completed later (probably no later than the mid 1960s). Only two stations are not topped by pillars - Lighthouse Island, marked by a brass rivet, and Ardglass, which utilised the top of a high stone folly. The older triangulation stations on the Lough Foyle Base Line were also re-surveyed as part of this process. A majority of the stations are still extant today but a few have been removed or destroyed.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rossographer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J3527, 97 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 31 May, 2020   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 1 June, 2020
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Uplands 
Place (from Tags)
Mourne Wall  Slieve Donard  Mourne Mountains 
Primary Subject of Photo
Wall 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 357 276 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:10.8095N 5:55.2662W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 357 276
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Clickable map
+

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 39 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register