O1334 : Exterior of Heuston station, Dublin

taken 10 months ago, near to Islandbridge, Dublin, Ireland

Exterior of Heuston station, Dublin
Exterior of Heuston station, Dublin
Heuston station opened on 4th August 1846 as the terminus and headquarters of the Great Southern & Western Railway. It was originally called Kingsbridge but in 1966, on the 50th anniversary of the Easter Rising, it was renamed "Heuston Station" in honour of Seán Heuston, a young railway worker who was one of the 16 executed by the British after that Rising, and had previously worked in the station's offices.

A full history of the station can be seen at LinkExternal link An interior view can be seen at LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Marathon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
O1334, 166 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
Date Taken
Saturday, 5 August, 2023   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 9 September, 2023
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Railways  People, Events 
Place (from Tags)
Dublin 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! O 1378 3426 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:20.7939N 6:17.5365W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! O 1378 3428
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Railway Terminus 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image Type (about): geograph 
This page has been viewed about 16 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
Background for photo viewing: White / /
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register