O1728 : Christ Church, Taney Parish, Dundrum, Dublin

taken 34 years ago, near to Merrion, Stillorgan, Dundrum, Windy Arbour and Milltown, Dublin, Ireland

Christ Church, Taney Parish, Dundrum, Dublin
Christ Church, Taney Parish, Dundrum, Dublin
Due to increasing numbers of people moving from the centre of Dublin to the suburbs, the original church here was replaced by this much larger church, built in ‘Victorian Gothic Revival’ style and opened in 1818. It was extended again in the 1860s and 70s. Christ Church has recently been given a peal of eight bells, famous for their mention by the writer James Joyce. They came after the closure of St George’s in the centre of Dublin, where Joyce had heard them, and were installed at Taney by public subscription, and first used here in 2000 to ring in the new millennium LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright D Gore and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
O1728, 7 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
1985   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 31 August, 2008
Category
Church   (more nearby)
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! O 175 282 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:17.4798N 6:14.3214W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! O 174 282
View Direction
Southeast (about 135 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Third Visitor for O1728) · First in 5 Years (TPoint) (about)
This page has been viewed about 1213 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register