St John the Baptist church, Stamford :: Shared Description


Grade I listed (redundant)

The original church dated from the second half of the 12th century, but most of the church today is from the 15th century and was completed in 1451. The church was restored in 1856, and there were further restorations which followed, with major work in the 1950s on the nave arcades.
The church became redundant in 2003.

There is a clerestoried nave with north and south aisles, with a tower over the west Bay of the north aisle, chancel with north and south chapels and vestry.

The north arcade is of three bays, the south has four bays, both are 15th century. The eastern most pier of the north arcade was rebuilt in 1950 following subsidence.
At the end of the aisles there are 15th century screens which close off the chapels.
The nave and aisle roofs contain several horizontal winged angels holding a variety of emblems and date from 1451. The 15th century roofs were recoloured in 1856.

There is a 15th century octagonal font with quatrefoil panelling, the font cover is from the 17th century.

There are several brasses from the 15th century and a coade stone monument to John Booth.
The church also contains a Memorial plaque to Sir Malcolm Sargent, who once sang in the choir and played the organ at St John's. It was originally built by Bevington in 1870, updated by Hill in 1872, and restored by Hill, Norman and Beard in 1974.

The church contains a small amount of 15th century glass, the other glass is 19th and 20th century. The east and west windows are by F.W. Oliphant, 1856.
by Julian P Guffogg
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

22 images use this description:

TF0207 : Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford by Alan Murray-Rust
TF0207 : Carved ceiling Angels, St John's church, Stamford by Julian P Guffogg
TF0207 : Stained glass window, St John the Baptist church, Stamford by Julian P Guffogg
TF0207 : Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford by Alan Murray-Rust
TF0207 : Stained glass window, St John the Baptist church, Stamford by Julian P Guffogg
TF0207 : Byldyson Brass, St John's church, Stamford by Julian P Guffogg
TF0207 : East window, St John the Baptist church, Stamford by Julian P Guffogg
TF0207 : Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford by Alan Murray-Rust
TF0207 : West window, St John the Baptist church, Stamford by Julian P Guffogg
TF0207 : Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford by Alan Murray-Rust
TF0207 : Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford by Alan Murray-Rust
TF0207 : Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford by Alan Murray-Rust
TF0207 : Interior, St John the Baptist church, Stamford by Julian P Guffogg
TF0207 : Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford by Alan Murray-Rust
TF0207 : Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford by Alan Murray-Rust
TF0207 : Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford by Alan Murray-Rust
TF0207 : St John the Baptist church, Stamford by Julian P Guffogg
TF0207 : Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford by Alan Murray-Rust
TF0207 : Tower of St John the Baptist church, Stamford by Julian P Guffogg
TF0207 : Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford by Alan Murray-Rust
TF0207 : Brass, St John the Baptist church, Stamford by Julian P Guffogg
TF0207 : Church of St John the Baptist, Stamford by Alan Murray-Rust


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Wed, 11 Feb 2015, Updated: Wed, 11 Feb 2015

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2015 Julian P Guffogg, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register