Stamford Park :: Shared Description

Stamford Park lies on the boundary between Ashton and Stalybridge. It was the first park to be opened in Ashton-under-Lyne.

Following a 17 year campaign by local cotton workers, Stamford Park was officially opened by Lord Stamford on the 12th July 1873. A crowd of 60-80,000 arrived on the day to watch the procession and opening ceremony.

Over the following two decades the park developed at pace, incorporating more land into the park. The former mill reservoir known as Chadwick Dams was incorporated into the park in 1891. The reservoir being divided in two by an embankment, with the southern section becoming the present boating lake.

The park now includes tennis courts, putting and bowling greens, a children's playground and paddling pool. The park also boasts an animal corner with a variety of birds and animals.

LinkExternal link photos of Stamford Park in the 1960s
LinkExternal link -Tameside.gov
LinkExternal link Ashton-Under Lyne.com
by David Dixon
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

56 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

SJ9599 : Stamford Park by Gerald England
SJ9599 : Stamford Park Boating Lake by Gerald England
SJ9598 : Stamford Park, The Old Market Cross by David Dixon
SJ9599 : Stamford Park Boating Lake, The Stamford Belle by David Dixon
SJ9599 : Stamford Park Fishing Lake by Gerald England
SJ9598 : Stamford Park, Joseph Raynor Stephens Memorial by David Dixon
SJ9599 : Crazy Golf by Gerald England
SJ9599 : Canada Geese at Stamford Park by Gerald England
SJ9598 : Stamford park by David Dixon
SJ9598 : Stamford Park by David Dixon
SJ9599 : Stamford Park Fishing Lake by Gerald England
SJ9599 : Stamford Park Boating Lake by Gerald England
SJ9598 : Pond in Stamford Park by Gerald England
SJ9599 : Bench with Ducks by Gerald England
SJ9599 : The Island, Stamford Park Upper Lake by David Dixon
SJ9599 : Stamford Park Upper Lake by David Dixon
SJ9599 : Stamford Park, Darnton Road Entrance by David Dixon
SJ9598 : Stamford Park Bowling Green by Gerald England
SJ9598 : Stamford Park by David Dixon
SJ9598 : Thomas in the Park by Gerald England
SJ9599 : Stamford Park Boating Lake by Gerald England
SJ9598 : John Nield Conservatory, Stamford Park by David Dixon
SJ9599 : Bowling Green by Gerald England
SJ9599 : The Upper Lake, Stamford Park by David Dixon
SJ9599 : Park Cafe by Gerald England

... and 31 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Wed, 15 Jun 2011, Updated: Wed, 15 Jun 2011

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2011 David Dixon, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register