St Michael & All Angels' church, Ledbury :: Shared Description

Grade I listed
This large church was already established by the year 1200 and is one of the finest churches in Herefordshire.
It was probably originally built on a pagan site and the first stone church was built in the early years of the 12th century. The Bishop of Hereford was Lord of the Manor.
The church tower is not attached to the main building. Originally only the bottom stages of the tower were built in around 1230. The spire is 202 feet high but the spire itself was only built in 1733. There are eight bells.
The North porch has a parvise and was built during the 14th century.
The South arcade columns in the nave date from about 1330, and those of the North arcade are from the mid-15th century.
The chancel arch was originally a round headed Norman arch, but it was probably later reshaped. The chancel and sanctuary are the oldest parts of the church dating from the 12th century. There are round headed arches and porthole windows, these originally looked out over the lower roofs of side aisles.
There is an Easter Sepulchre in the north wall dating from the 14th century. There is also an attached chapterhouse added in about 1330.
The church was originally dedicated to St Peter and only finally became known as St Michael and All Angels during the 19th century.
There are several memorials and brasses in the church including a fine memorial to the Skynner family SO7137 : Skynner Memorial, Ledbury Church and also to the Biddulph family.
by Julian P Guffogg
More nearby... Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

21 images use this description:

SO7137 : Stained glass window, St Michael & All Angels church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : Fragments of Medieval Glass, St Michael's church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : Stained glass window, St Michael & All Angels church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : South side, St Michael & All Angels' church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : Stained glass window, St Michael's church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : Interior, St Michael & All Angels' church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : East Window, St Michael & All Angels church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : Memorial to John Hamilton Martin, Ledbury church by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : Stained glass window, St Michael & All Angels church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : Memorial, St Michael and All Angels' church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : The detached tower of Ledbury church by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : West end of St Michael & All Angels' church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : Church and belltower showing separation, Ledbury by Jeff Gogarty
SO7137 : South Aisle, Ledbury church by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : St Michael & All Angels' church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : Stained glass window, St Michael's church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : Incised slab, St Michael and All Angels' church, Ledbury by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : Stained glass window, St Michael & All Angels church by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : Brass of Thomas Caple, Ledbury church by Julian P Guffogg
SO7137 : St Michael & All Angels, Ledbury by Jeff Gogarty
SO7137 : Brass of John Hayward, Ledbury church by Julian P Guffogg


These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Fri, 1 Jun 2012, Updated: Fri, 1 Jun 2012

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2012 Julian P Guffogg, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register