Lyle Road :: Shared Description

Named after Abram Lyle of the Tate & Lyle sugar company, who was Provost of Greenock when the road was built in 1878. The following extract is from the 1907 book "GREENOCK STREET NAMES - THEIR HISTORY AND ROMANCE, by Gardner Blair, which is reproduced in its entirety on the Inverclyde Council web site at LinkExternal link

----------

"The Lyle Road was formed in the year 1878, during a period of business depression, following on the failure of the City of Glasgow Bank. This event caused much distress in the West of Scotland, and paralysed trade for years afterwards.

In those days Provost Abram Lyle occupied the chair of civic chief, and it is interesting to note that the idea of having a road round the Bingans originated in the mind of his good lady. The streets were full of idle men willing to work, but unable to find anything to which they might turn their hands. Provost Lyle was much exercised in his mind regarding this unhappy state of affairs, and often talked of the matter in his home. During one of these conversations, Mrs. Lyle exclaimed, “Why not put the unemployed to the making of a drive round the Bingans?” And there we have the origin of this popular promenade.

The cost of the road amounted to £16,482 12s 4d, and there is no doubt whatever that it provided necessary labour for decent artizans, while the town acquired at a moderate cost a really splendid boulevard."

----------

The outstanding views from the top of Lyle Road make the effort of the climb worthwhile.

The road climbs around 400 feet over its one mile length, making it popular with cyclists who hold hill climbs there annually. The record for the climb is three minutes and thirty seven seconds, by former Scottish Commonwealth Games rider Sandy Gilchrist in the Scottish Championship event which was organised by Greenock Road Club in 1983.
by Thomas Nugent
Related descriptions Selection is automatic and approximate, it might not always select closely matching descriptions

59 images use this description. Preview sample shown below:

NS2577 : Fort Matilda from Lyle Hill by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Battery park and Kilcreggan by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Site of Greenock Navy Buildings by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Gourock from Lyle Road by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Fort Matilda railway bridge by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Lyle Road by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Former Royal Navy torpedo factory by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Gourock from Lyle Hill by Thomas Nugent
NS2375 : Texas Instruments, Greenock by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Fort Matilda from Lyle Road by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Former torpedo factory at Fort Matilda by Thomas Nugent
NS2475 : Chimneys from Lyle Road by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Greenock Navy Buildings by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Lyle Road viewpoint by Thomas Nugent
NS2780 : Rosneath Point by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Fort Matilda from Lyle Hill by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Benches at Lyle Hill by Thomas Nugent
NS2576 : The Free French War Memorial by Thomas Nugent
NS2576 : Lyle Road and the Free French Memorial by Lairich Rig
NS2677 : Lyle Park by Lairich Rig
NS2477 : Gourock and the Firth of Clyde by Thomas Nugent
NS2576 : Free French Memorial, Lyle Hill by Lairich Rig
NS2577 : Lyle Road viewpoint by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Gourock and the Firth of Clyde by Thomas Nugent
NS2577 : Gourock from Lyle Road by Thomas Nugent

... and 34 more images.

These Shared Descriptions are common to multiple images. For example, you can create a generic description for an object shown in a photo, and reuse the description on all photos of the object. All descriptions are public and shared between contributors, i.e. you can reuse a description created by others, just as they can use yours.
Created: Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Updated: Sat, 25 Aug 2012

The 'Shared Description' text on this page is Copyright 2012 Thomas Nugent, however it is specifically licensed so that contributors can reuse it on their own images without restriction.

You are not logged in login | register